Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Attend Presentation Describing Some World War II Event

For this extra credit assignment, you are to attend a presentation describing an event that took place during World War II. This presentation must take place away from school - at a library or a community college auditorium or something else like that. To earn the extra credit, you will need to describe the presentation in writing.


***********
Presentation Review
Peter Lakon (author) & Chris Ko (editor)

On March 28, 2016, I went to the Pasadena Central Library Auditorium to hear Dr. Keith Lewis give an hour and a half presentation on the topic of the Bataan Death March.
The Bataan Death March:



The flier that I received when walking into the auditorium read as follows:

After the April 9, 1942, U.S. surrender of the Bataan Peninsula on the main Philippine island of Luzon to the Japanese during World War II (1939-45), the approximately 75,000 Filipino and American troops on Bataan were forced  to march 65-mile march to prison camps. The marchers made the trek in intense heat and were subject to harsh treatment by Japanese guards. Thousands perished in what became known as the Bataan Death March.

I left very impressed by his interesting stories and eye-catching pictures on his PowerPoint. What he said in particular that stood out me was the story of the US campaign in the Philippines. This story stood out to me because the way Mr. Lewis described the 65-mile trek the US soldiers had to walk in the Philippines was very vivid and left me feeling amazed.








***********

Presentation Review
Lindsay Woodward (author) & Sarah Zweighaft (editor)

After leaving Dr. Lewis' lecture on Monday evening, I felt thoroughly informed and inspired. Dr. Lewis succeeded in captivating the audience with the help of an abundance of information and a few personal stories. His father was one of the soldiers present in Bataan, and was very much effected by the Bataan Death March. He was able bring the story to life for the audience.


***********

Presentation Review
Kathryn Castreje (author) & Sarah Zweighaft (editor)

I attended Dr. Lewis' presentation on the Bataan March, and thought it was very interesting and informational, while being very depressing. Leaving his presentation that Monday night left me feeling inspired yet slightly disappointed by the history of this event.  Despite this soul crushing story, Dr.Lewis informed us of several detailed facts about General Douglas MacArthur; for example, he was a narcissist who did ridiculous things such as putting a mirror behind his desk to intimidate the people meeting him. That was probably one of the highlights of the presentation. Although it was obvious that this story did not have a positive ending, Mr. Lewis’ slight splashes of humor brought the story to life, and left me intrigued.


***********
Presentation Review
Sarah Zweighaft (author) & Lindsay Woodward (editor)

Dr. Lewis' presentation on the Bataan Death March went by much quicker than I thought it would.


With all honesty, listening to an elderly man discuss the deaths of thousands Americans isn't my ideal Monday night. Entering the library, I tried to keep an open mind. Perhaps the topic would hold the least bit of interest to a 21st century fourteen year old girl.


With my hopes set not so high, I sat in the back of the room and clutched my notepad. The man came up on stage and opened with the concept that this was a depressing concept. "Great," my mind sighed. But then Dr. Lewis talked about his father's part in the Bataan Death March. This historical event was more than just an event for this man. He lived the Bataan Death March. This drew me in and saddened me at the same time.


Dr. Lewis described his fathers stories, his eyes making genuine eye contact with each of us. I almost felt uncomfortable watching this man explain his emotions and passion for the event on stage. He was very personal with his audience. I began to take tedious notes. I wrote the entire time. I found myself chuckling at Dr. Lewis' attempt to lighten the mood. When the presentation was over, my mind muttered, "That's it?"  To me it felt like there was no ending, and I was bothered by the lack of a happy ending.


***********


Presentation Review 
Michael Ossen (author) & Chris Ko (editor)

On March 28, 2016, I attended the Bataan Death March presentation by Dr. Kieth Lewis. Dr. Lewis is a most experts on the Bataan Death March and I am extremely pleased that he decided to share his knowledge with the local people. I now know about the atrocities of the death march as well as the exact locations thanks to Dr. Lewis. One thing I wholeheartedly enjoyed was his use of visual aids (maps and pictures). They were astounding pictures that took my breath away and created a realistic and very informative historical presentation. If you want to learn more, I would highly recommend checking out his written work on the Bataan Death March as well as his other books and articles.

A 1:12 clip video that I took during Dr. Lewis's Presentation

And another clip, 1:58
An image that I took during Dr. Lewis's Presentation
***********

2 comments:

  1. Peter; I so respect your willingness to venture forth as you have, be one of the first to post to the blog. And not just in one extra credit category, but two. WTG.

    ReplyDelete